Home » About Us Opportunities
- Survey Data Entry Clerk (updated 3/2/17)
- Editor (posted 11/4/16)
- Transportation Planner/Engineer (posted 8/16/16)
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is seeking full- or part-time temporary staff to enter passenger survey data during the month of March. Workloads are flexible up to a maximum of 40 hours per week. A commitment to at least 20 hours per week is preferred. The pay rate is $13.00 per hour.
All applicants must present government-issued picture identification (such as a driver’s license, passport, military identification, or green card).
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is seeking an editor to join its editorial group, which produces technical documents authored by transportation planners and engineers.
The qualified candidate must have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Three years of editing experience; experience in transportation preferred, but not necessary
- Excellent PC skills; superior MS Office—Word, PowerPoint, Excel—skills
- Advanced MS Word competence:
- Facility with formatting and use of "Styles"
- Experience creating and modifying Word templates
- Proficiency with Track Changes and Comments features
- Strong organizational skills
- Good eye for detail
- Excellent oral and written communication abilities
- Ability to maintain standards for quality while working in an atmosphere of frequently changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work both collaboratively and courteously with colleagues
- Knowledge of Adobe PDF editing functions helpful
Responsibilities include the following:
- Learning the editorial group’s document-formatting styles, becoming expert in formatting CTPS’s written products, and modifying its templates
- Developing knowledge of the production process, and helping to handle workflow and file management
- Becoming adept at CTPS’s editorial conventions, and editing documents for organization, spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity, and style
- Completing some minor administrative duties, as needed
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) is seeking a transportation planner/engineer to work with similar professionals in the Traffic Analysis and Design Group. The selected candidate will work on studies that typically include tasks related to traffic data collection and analysis, intersection evaluation and conceptual design, transportation planning and modeling, congestion, access, safety management, traffic impact reviews, and pedestrian and bicycle transportation assessments.
The qualified candidate must have:
- An advanced degree in transportation planning, urban and regional planning, or traffic engineering with at least two years of professional experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with quantitative software packages (Excel or SPSS)
- Familiarity with one or more traffic analysis programs (Synchro or HCS)
- Knowledge of ArcGIS
- Ability to work with large databases and datasets
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Intellectual curiosity
- Familiarity with the Boston metropolitan region
Skills in the following areas are desirable, but not required:
- Experience in a transportation-planning field
- Knowledge of statistical methods
- Expertise in economic impact assessments
- Knowledge of air quality modeling and analysis
- Familiarity with noise analysis
All candidates must have a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
Our office is friendly, diverse, and professional. Salary contingent upon qualifications; excellent employee benefits package. All candidates must have legal authorization (citizenship or visa) to work in the USA. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is CTPS’ fiduciary agent and legally employs its staff. MAPC/CTPS is an EOE/AA employer which takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.
Respond with resume and cover letter to:
State Transportation Building
10 Park Plaza, Suite 2150
Boston, MA 02116-3968
(617) 570-9192 (fax)